Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Lovely Exit Interview

Like all inevitable things, the day had to come whether I liked it or not. The day of the Exit Interview. I woke up that morning I would meet my destiny with a pain in my stomach that I had not felt in at least ten years. It was the pain of intense anxiety. Even though I had convinced myself that I would pass without question, my body was telling me a different story. I needed to believe in myself now more than ever.

The weekend before, Jon sat for an hour listening to me while I chopped through some poetry. The most amazing part about studying for the Interview was I realized that I knew a lot. I have been doing this for years, after all. There were even a few things that I never really understood that I do now- like accented and unaccented syllables! Yet my confidence was my biggest challenge. I needed to find it and fast.

I had everything ready to go. I packed a thesaurus, a dictionary, two literature books,and one poetry book. I arrived at Karin's office on Tuesday, 12:00pm in a daze. The floor felt like it was moving under my feet. I slumped in a chair and waited. A few minutes later Karin handed me my packet and I was off. The short story was two pages -yes! and the poem was divided up into two rows of stanzas that took up the entire page- oh my. The three student essays were two paragraphs each- :). I had never seen anything in this packet before, but as I read the material, I focused on conventions and it started to make sense.

It was a pleasure to meet my interviewers, two lovely ladies whom I've never had as teachers, Drs. Bourgeois and Mclave. I didn't know until the moment I sat down how I was going to go about this Interview. But somehow everything I wanted to talk about came and so much more. I felt like I had a power in me that I never knew was there before.

After the Interview, I felt happy. I told Karin it was fun. I heard the two professors laughing as they came up the hall to her office. They told me all the good things I did, and I shook their hands. After they left, I asked Karin "Did I pass?" She said, "Yes!" My confidence still needs some work!

I thank all of those people who supported me and who were involved in my interview process. I feel blessed.

No comments: